Choose from one of our locations:
Do you have that pulling sensation when you bend forward?
Here’s a tip for you!
I have heard a lot of individuals tell me that they reached down to pick up their toothbrush or pencil and all of a sudden their back “gave out” on them and they ended up on the floor for hours trying to get back up. No, the pencil or toothbrush was not too heavy! Instead, these flexion patterns can be problematic for a lot of people because they are just not able to control that movement pattern. Here’s a tip for you on picking things up from the floor!
1) Straddle over the item you are going to pick up
2) Bow forward from your hip and not your back until you feel a little pulling in your butt muscle of the front leg
3) Bend your knees while continuing to bend forward from your hips and not your back and bring your back knee to the floor in a split squat stance
4) Now that you are kneeling, bend from the hip again and you can reach down to pick up the item that you have dropped
5) Unhinge to a neutral or the kneeling position you had before.
6) Brace your core and come back up from the kneeling position, making sure that your not arching your back in the process.
Please try this out, and hopefully it will decrease those low back spasm and tightness symptoms.
If you have any questions, comments or would like to see other videos, please comment below!